Thursday, June 21, 2007

Well, we knew it had to happen at some point (07/09/06)

As the title implies, it's something we all knew would happen. Even though we expected it, we never expected it to happen how it did... Steve Irwin is dead. It happened a couple of days ago but I've just had the energy to start typing about it (I've nothing better to do while I'm waiting to head to work). I always thought the guy would get eaten by a crocodile or a shark or stung by some poisonous creature somewhere, alas, it wasn't to be that way. Instead he got killed by a stingray.

Just for shits and giggles, a friend at college was telling me about a program about the psychotic Aussie the day after he died. He said at one point (during an interview) the interviewer asked what programs he watched as a kid. Steveyboy replied with "Thunderbirds! Oh, and I always had a special place in my heart for Stingray.".

Joking over.

But even though he got killed by a fish known as 'the pussycat of the sea' he still proved how hardcore he was after he was stung... by a stingrays barb... in the heart... so he was dying as he did it, right? He pulled the fucking barb out of his heart! Seriously, that almost passes as suicide because the first rule of First Aid is: "Don't move the victim", that has nothing to do with the point I was making but it's a nice transition. The first rule of first aid in lacerations is: "Don't pull the object out of the wound.". Why don't you pull the object out of the wound? Because the object in the wound is acting as a cork and stopping you from bleeding as heavily. So technically doesn't that make it an assisted suicide?

Joking aside, I used to love watching the guy when I was a kid. I was about 7 or 8 when I first saw of him. He was doing the 'deadliest' series at the time. Worlds Deadliest Spiders, Australia’s Deadliest Kangaroos, New Zealand’s Deadliest Rugby Players and so on. I knew he was a fucking a nutcase, I knew he had a couple of cards missing from his deck, but we loved him. Even if we said we hated him, we still loved him. He encapsulated the danger and showed it to the world. I think even he knew he'd die because of his profession, but he wasn't scared of death! If he was, what the fuck was he doing sticking his head in Crocs heads all those years?

He was one of the best TV presenters in the world in the history of television. In all honesty, I'm absolutely gutted about it... but I can't wait to get the internet back so I can see the video (which will ultimately be leaked onto the intarwebs) so I can see his last moments and how he handled it. He had his finger broken by a 15 foot Croc once and wasn't moved by it, and if he pulled the barb out of his heart he obviously thought he'd live through it so he didn't think it was that important... he was an incredible man and will be missed by all.

R.I.P Steve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home