Saturday, January 14, 2006

The time... it is upon us...

I've been toying with the idea of starting a webcomic for quite a while (Remember my 'Tears of Emo ;_;' update? Yeah.) and the other day I decided to start planning one out... but ended up playing HL2 instead. You know how it is. At some point last night I had a brainwave. Was an orgasmic experience and I reccomend you try to achieve this at least once in your life.

Two guys... living together... one is a punk, who refuses to believe punk sucks now... the other? A power metaller who sits at home playing games and reading all day... it practically writes itself! But yeah, PSO fucked up for me and when I finally had the energy to restart, I couldn't be bothered to fight 80 monsters to power up to level 4. Oh well.

I began to design faces/bodies etc. I took parts from my favourite webcomics (CAD/LICD/VGCats etc.) and threw it into one. It was terrible. So I took my favourite webcomic (CAD) and decided to recycle it! What came out was a mixture of hatred and angst. So I strapped on the latex vagina, poured in the sand and went into a world of angst, depression and suicide.

Really, I'll tell you the story without digressing now (I've had no sleep, fuck off). I started drawing and liked what came out. When I realised I couldn't be bothered with a 'normal' hairstyle, I threw a mohiekan on the guy and the Punk was born! It rocked. Then, when I was explaining the idea to my cousin Dominic, the idea of the Power Metaller came into it. I had a couple more brainwaves, lay back, had a cigarette and I was ready to be creative!

I designed the two main characters and came up with a plot twist (initially an idea for a strip which evolved, basically) and out came the drawings. I have rough sketches for two strips at the moment (and I mean 'rough'... one may work, but it's mainly a prototype for the moment.). I tried to get me some Photoshop going in this hiz-house but to no success. Oh well. At the moment it may be in black and white (unless I can convince Orlock or Feigh to colour it, but I don't really feel like asking people to do much for me.).

A quick FAQ about the webcomic:

Where will it be hosted?

Well, I have one person who offered to host it (A girl I met on LUElinks with the username Wolfy.) and another who may just be kind enough to offer some webspace (An old friend called Wes. He's the only person who has been on my contact list for this long who isn't family.). If not, I'll create another blog on here so it's easily clickable, copyright the images and throw them onto a domain when I finally get one.

What will this webcomic be called?

I have no clue. I'm still designing it at the moment, however I may go for something cynical... or I may not! I might just take submissions, the winning one will be the one which is short(ish), easy to remember and can make me laugh (more difficult than you might think).

Will I have to pay to see the webcomic?

Absolutely not. I will run a couple of ads (just the Google search bar and the Firefox one, mainly. I might throw in the Google ads bar but it's doubtable) I'll try my best to keep it popup free (If Google Adsense is making popups, tell me.). If there is any popups at all, inform me immediately and I'll see what I can do. There will be a download box, but that will mainly be for help hosting the website.

How are you planning on creating the webcomic?

Well, I'm going to be drawing it onto paper, scanning it onto the computer, run it through Photoshop, throw a couple of colours in, set them all up and host them. Simple as that, really.

What code will the new website be in?

HTML, most likely. I have never got the energy to script PHP (too many damned algorythms.) and seein as HTML is the most well know, and easiest, of the programming languages, I'll probably just use that. I will update to PHP at some point, though.

What file extension will the comics be in?

.jpeg or .png. Most likely a high quality jpeg. However PNG is a high quality jpeg with all the added compression format of the .gifs, so I might save it in PNG (most likely PNG <_<). style="font-weight: bold;">Why do you want to become a webcomic artist?

Well, I initially came up with the idea for it when I first made the blog. It was a joke between me and Hentai Master (Hollow-Hentai FTW!), I wasn't getting enough hits and asked HM what I could do to get people to come and read it. He said "Write more!" I said something along the lines of "Hey, what about a webcomic?!" and it took off. I made the comic seen in "Tears of Emo" shortly afterwards (Mainly for the hell of it, partly to see if I could make a semi-funny comic which people would enjoy) and once I created the "ToE" post, it seemed to fit perfectly. So it got thrown in.

The simple answer to your question would be that I wanted to create and share my drawings and humour with people. I have a... 'curious' humour to say the least (as you should know by now... you've been reading my blog for long enough) so I'm actually expecting to waste money on a Domain and see where it goes from there. I'll keep the site up because there'll always be somebody who wants to read it.

So you aren't in it for the money?

God no. The money is a desirable aspect, but I'm not the greatest artist in the world nor am I the funniest guy in the world. I want to create and share something which has kept me amused for a long time. It's nothing short of seeing a Vin Diesel film and saying "Damn, I wanna be like him". Donations and the clicking of ads are optional.

But you tell us to click the ads on this blog!

No, I ask you to click the ads. I don't make you, I can't force you... I ask you, politely, to help a guy out with some financial difficulties and click a couple of ads. I'm not saying "OMG CLIK ADS OR DIE!". Most ads on this blog are functional anyway. I have the Firefox referral link, I have the Google search bar and I have a nifty little script what scans the lastes post for keywords and gives you the four most popular. It's not like I'm bombing you with insane amounts of popups.

So can we expect the same treatment on the new site?

Well, like I said, there will be ads. However, like this blog, they will be functional. A google search bar and the Firefox referral link. And the PayPal icon at the bottom for your donations.

Remember! I'm not forcing you to donate, I'm not even asking you. I'm saying, if you want to donate some money towards the websites and drawing peripherals, then go ahead and donate some money. If not, don't worry about it. If you really want to help the site, click a couple of ads, I'll still get money for it in the end.

You seem to be hell bent on money, though?

No, if I was hell bent on money, I'd be drawing out Merchandise to sell right now. I've barely got the first two characters fully down. I've yet to integrate colour schemes into it and such, the process has barely begun, merch (unless specifically asked for by a decent amount of users) will not be released into the public domain. I might design a bit of merch, but that's providing it actually takes off and there is an actual demand. I'm not wasting my time and money (I have to order the stuff if I'm gonna sell it) if you guys aren't gonna buy it.

What would the merchandice contain?

Shirts, mugs, thongs, boxers, mousepads... whatever I feel like selling when and (most importantly) if it comes down to it.

Alright guys and gals, I'll leave you drooling over that thought.,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home